What is the company's primary business?
Intelsat S.A. is the world’s leading provider of satellite services, delivering high performance connectivity solutions for media, fixed and mobile broadband infrastructure, enterprise and government and military applications. Intelsat’s satellite, teleport and fiber infrastructure is unmatched in the industry, setting the standard for transmissions of video and broadband services. From the globalization of content and the proliferation of HD, to the expansion of cellular networks and mobile broadband access, with Intelsat, envision your future network, connect using our leading satellite technology and transform your opportunities.
Who are your customers? What do you do for them?
Intelsat serves three primary customer sets: network services providers, media companies and governments. Our customers need to deliver voice, video and data transmissions to their customers, and we help them do that with services provided through our fleet of communications satellites and our IntelsatOneSM terrestrial network.
What is the company's operating strategy?
We are transforming our business and sector, investing in and deploying innovative new technologies that will change the types of applications that we can serve and increase our share of the global demand for broadband connectivity everywhere— for all communities and for all devices. Our strategy is to seek revenue growth with the following actions: Drive stability in our core business;
- Selectively invest, employ a disciplined yield management approach and emphasize the development of strong distribution channels for our three primary customer sets of network services (including broadband and mobility), media and government;
- Scale our differentiated managed service offerings in targeted growth verticals in broadband, mobility, media and government, leveraging the global footprint, higher performance and better economics of our Intelsat Epic fleet and the flexibility of our innovative terrestrial network;
- Complete targeted investments and partnerships in differentiated space and ground infrastructure to develop a standards-based ecosystem that will provide a seamless interface with the broader telecommunications ecosystem; and
- Seek partnerships and investments for vertical expansion in the growing mobility sector and in adjacent space-based businesses to position for longer-term growth. We believe that developing differentiated managed services and investing in related software- and standards-based technology will allow us to increase our relevance within the broader telecommunications landscape, unlocking opportunities that are essential to providing global broadband.
What drives Intelsat’s success?
We believe our global scale, high-performing network, leadership position and valuable customer relationships enable us to benefit from growing demand for reliable broadband connectivity, resulting from trends such as:
- Global distribution of television entertainment and news programming to fixed and mobile devices;
- Completion and extension of international, national and regional data networks fixed and wireless, notably in emerging and developed regions, and the upgrade of those networks to 3G/4G/5G as content is increasingly consumed on mobile devices;
- Universal access to broadband connectivity through fixed and mobile networks for consumers, corporations, government and other organizations;
- Increasing deployment of in-flight and on-board broadband access for consumer and business applications in the commercial, business aviation and maritime sectors;
- Requirements for cost-efficient space-based network solutions for fixed and mobile government and military applications; and
- Global demand for services which enable connected devices, such as machine-to-machine communications and the Internet of Things ("IoT"), particularly with respect to connected car applications.
Where does Intelsat stock trade?
Intelsat’s common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange, under the ticker symbol “I”.
What are the highlights of Intelsat’s financial model?
Overall, we believe we benefit from a number of characteristics that allow us to effectively manage our business despite these competitive and geo-economic pressures:
- Significant long-term contracted backlog, providing a foundation for predictable revenue streams;
- Entry into service of our next generation Intelsat Epic platform that was designed to support new services representing $4.4 billion of potential incremental growth by 2024 from expanded enterprise, wireless infrastructure, mobility, IoT and government applications;
- High operating leverage, which has allowed us to generate an average Adjusted EBITDA margin of 76% in the past three years; and
- A stable, efficient and sustainable tax profile for our global business.
What long-term debt is issued by Intelsat and outstanding?
A summary of Intelsat's long-term debt obligations is available in Intelsat's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on February 20, 2020 and available on the SEC Filings section of this website.
Is Intelsat's debt rated by any credit agencies?
Yes, Intelsat has received a credit rating from both Moody's Investor Service and Standard & Poor's Rating Services. Copies of their reports can be obtained directly from these agencies.
Does Intelsat report its results consistent with U.S. GAAP?
Intelsat's financial statements are prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles ("GAAP").
Where do I find a summary of Intelsat's significant accounting policies?
A summary of our significant accounting policies can be found in our Annual Report on Form 10-K, filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on February 20, 2020 and available on the SEC Filings section of this website.
Who is Intelsat's independent auditor?
Intelsat's independent auditor for the fiscal year ending 31 December 2019 is KPMG LLP.
How can I receive copies of the company's annual report and other financial information?
When is Intelsat's fiscal year?
Intelsat's fiscal year is the calendar year. The first quarter ends 31st March, the second quarter ends 30th June, the third quarter ends 30th September and the fourth quarter ends 31st December.
When is the company's next scheduled earnings announcement?
When was the company founded?
We are the successor entity to the International Telecommunications Satellite Organization, formerly known as INTELSAT, which was created on an interim basis by its initial member states in 1964. INTELSAT was formally established as an inter-governmental organization in 1973 upon entry into force of an inter-governmental agreement. On 18 July 2001, INTELSAT privatized by transferring substantially all of its assets and liabilities to a new company established for this purpose, Intelsat, Ltd., and its subsidiaries. On 4 February 2008, Intelsat, Ltd. announced the successful closing of the acquisition of all the primary equity ownership of its parent, Intelsat Holdings, Ltd. by Serafina Holdings, Limited, an entity formed by funds advised by BC Partners, Silver Lake and certain other equity investors. On 15 December 2009, Intelsat, Ltd. changed its domicile to Luxembourg.
Who owns Intelsat now?
Intelsat’s common stock is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “I”.
In what country is Intelsat domiciled?
Intelsat S.A. is organized in Luxembourg. Intelsat Global Sales & Marketing Ltd. is our global sales and marketing headquarters and is organized under the laws of England and Wales. Intelsat US LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, provides technical, marketing and business support services to Intelsat and its subsidiaries.